Before anyone of us were born, Jer 39:5 says that he knows us and assigned to each one of us a purpose for which we are here on earth for. Sampson, John the Baptist, etc were on earth for a purpose and they fulfilled their purpose.
Everyone has made one mistake or the other but some stay in that regret instead of moving forward.
The Spirit of Regret: Case Study of Ruth
When they left Bethlehem, Naomi and her husband left with wealth. She lost everything in Moab. The sin of incest started from Moab. It was a cursed nation. They left Bethlehem to Moab because of famine but when she left, there was no report of loss from Bethlehem. She was the one that came with three corpses. Naomi means splendor/sweetness but she was experiencing the opposite.
Regret means actions we took without thinking that lead to mistake.
Causes of regret is in the mistakes that were done in life, answers given to challenges.
The way you respond to challenges in life will show if you are a child of God who is in the word.
Some of us regret because of our actions and our inactions.
Causes of Regret:
- Impatience: eager, desirous. Wanting something to happen right on the spot. Everybody has his/her time that God has planned to visit us, but impatience sometimes will not let us. If you sit for patience and patience doesn’t come on time, wait for long suffering and if that expires, try endurance and if you try that and it doesn’t work, try perseverance. Exodus 3:7-8.
- Disobedience: is stubbornness.
- Bad counselors: seek good counsel
- Faithlessness or lack of faith
What regret does
- Regret turns joy to sorrow
- Makes one Get angry
- Hate people with passion
- Creates lack of emotion
- Creates failure
- Leads to death which leads to destruction
Solution to regret:
- Retrace your steps
- Ask for forgiveness
- Accept your mistake and take responsible
- When God forgives you, forgive yourself